Donegall St. · Falls Rd. · Ormeau Rd.
Tel: 028 9024 3129

Who to Inform

Who to inform when someone dies?

There are several people who should be informed when someone passes away, the following people should be informed if relevant:

  1. Relatives and friends
  2. Employer/school
  3. Solicitor/accountant
  4. The deceased's Tax Office
  5. National Insurance Contributions Office if they were self-employed (to cancel payments)
  6. Landlord or Local Authority if the deceased rented their property
  7. Local Authority if the deceased paid Council Tax, had a parking permit, was issued with a Blue Badge for disabled parking, received social services help, or attended day care
  8. Any private organisation/agency providing home help
  9. General insurance companies - contents, car, travel, medical etc
  10. Pension providers/life insurance companies
  11. Bank/building society
  12. Mortgage provider
  13. Hire purchase or loan companies
  14. Credit card providers/store cards
  15. Utility companies, if accounts were in the deceased's name
  16. TV/Internet companies with which the deceased had subscriptions
  17. Royal Mail, if mail needs re-directing
  18. UK Passport Agency, to return and cancel a passport
  19. Social groups to which the deceased belonged
  20. Dentist
  21. Creditors - anyone to whom the deceased owed money
  22. Debtors - anyone that owed the deceased money

Things that may need returned:

  1. Order books/benefits
  2. Passport
  3. Driving licence
  4. Registration documents for the deceased's car (if necessary)
  5. Season ticket and membership cards of any clubs or associations, as a refund may be due
  6. Benefit/pension books and any unused cheques/vouchers should be returned to the benefits office
  7. Library books and tickets
  8. National Insurance papers